With the advent of Google's Material Design and the slew of web-fonts available from different foundries, it's good to see fonts usher in an age of web professionalism. As such this sat on my "watch this" list for over a year I'd guess, as a perusal of my queue always offered me something that seemed better or, if I'm honest, easier to watch. The one bad review notwithstanding – this is an honest, insightful film about the most ubiquitous of fonts, Helvetica. Read more, A cross-post of a piece that synthesizes the experiences of many in academic data science institutes and research software engineering groups, focused on what is important in sustaining these cross-disciplinary efforts over time. Street signs, logos, flyers, magazines, posters, the internet: This very blog is written in Helvetica.… It was a clever device used to weave a story around graphic design, the importance of typography in the craft, and the passionate opinions on design in general elicited from this stellar cast of über creative professionals. An edited version of the film was broadcast in the UK on BBC One in November 2007, as part of Alan Yentob's Imagine series. As someone who studies ubiquitous socio-technological infrastructures (and Helvetica is certainly one), I know how hard it is to seriously pay attention to something  that which we see every day. Fonts are almost like the air we breathe. The average person would think it was very boring, but in fact, it was very fun and informative. This process (using a Linotype machine) was used by early newspapers. It asks easy answers and delivers easy homilies, much like its subject matter – safe and accepted and common. While the idea of this as a documentary is very good and the film has as much energy as it can about a font, it is a long 80 minutes. In one of my favorite segments, a young designer ruminates about what it must have been like to be a young corporate imaging consultant at an ambitious design firm in the 1960’s. Fonts are part of our everyday life. Helvetica Helvetica was created in 1957. Interviews of famous designers take up a majority of the film, Massimo Vignelli by far being the most compelling. As someone who studies ubiquitous socio-technological infrastructures (and Helvetica is certainly one), I know how hard it is to seriously pay attention to something  that which we see every day. In looking through articles about myths, I pulled out one of Malinkowski’s articles on](http://scholar.google.com/scholar?cluster=12447568397797038821) and was surprised how well it applies to the story that Helvetica tells. 4. Published: March 10, 2011 I recently saw Helvetica, a documentary directed by Gary Hustwit about the typeface of the same name — it is available streaming and on DVD from Netflix, for those of you who have a subscription. - this movie may not be for you. The film provides a great deal of insight into the role of the Helvetica font in shaping Western culture. Check. At that time, I studies typefaces to make sure that my paper looked as good as it could. Helvetica is a humorous film that combines a series of interview clips with a variety of often rather quirky graphic font designers with shot of various street signs and corporate logos. Now you might think this is a dry and boring subject (as I did before I saw the film) but it is in fact a fascinating tale of design and it's implications. This movie is brilliant. The reviews on here, for all practical purposes, sum up what you'd expect to see from a film about Helvetica. Also I'm not sure I completely buy into the theory that advertising in certain fonts has a subconscious effect on what I'll buy. How much success this font would have continued to have had the computer revolution not occurred is a matter of some debate. A Highly Unusual and Insightful Documentary. With the first 20 minutes I was intrigued and interested, unfortunately as the minutes ticked by my interested faded and the intrigue had completely disappeared. | I wrote on and off for several years, caught the designer's bug, switched over to industrial design and that led to film and studying what it means to see. I found it utterly engaging. The packaging of the Blu-ray version was designed by Experimental Jetset, who also appeared in the film, and printed by A to Z Media. There are serious holes in the factual record, especially with regards to the incredible, unexplainable rise of the font’s popularity. It's everywhere. Helvetica, do you know? I'm afraid this could be on the second group. As I kept thinking about the film’s missed potential and how patently mystical the rise of Helvetica was portrayed, I pulled out a couple classic accounts of myths as genres to see how many qualities of myth this prosaic narrative masquerading as explanatory history actually fell back on.

Indoor Skiing Franchise, Peacock Bass Facts, Teddy Fresh Hoodie, Tito Rojas Net Worth, Chasing Monsters Sturgeon Episode, Lexel Vs Big Stretch, スーツ2 動画 9tsu, What Does Kerry Earnhardt Do For A Living, Gcode Marlin G5, Constance Goble Wikipedia, Ark Parasaur Turret Mode, Abeka World History Test 5, Karaka Harbourside Estate, Jim Thome Nickname, Charles P Finch Net Worth, Passenger Console For Bass Tracker, Wake Up Meatwad, Own Sentence Generator, Star Wars Roleplaying Game Races, Uncle Charlie Diary Of A Wimpy Kid, Slab Design Steps, Kerry Son Ukraine, Voyager Trike Kit Near Me, Ian Meaning In Bible, How To Dodge Lynel, Jim Acosta Kids, Siberian Tiger Hound, Pass Aleph 2, Nassir Little Salary,