Division shares the story of the celebrated Gunnery... Great Love Happens Once: The Enduring Story of John and Lena Basilone, Strategic Lena was definitely one of a kind. Please check your email and click on the link to activate your account. On July 7, 1944 the couple wed.After a short, happy time together, John headed back to the war-torn South Pacific. Maybe a bio or maybe a ‘fictionalized’ with fact sort of book ala Alex Hailey’s “Roots”…but we shall see what we shall see. When we spend every day with the people we care about, it is easy to overlook the concept of living without them. But only small details….for instance, at that time all lady marines that worked in the kitchen wore the men’s fatigues, but not the ones popular today. After I sent any piece of information I could find acknowledging her as Sgt. My dad was a medic on Peleliu. He was part of Charlie Company, 1st Battalion, 27th Marine Regiment, 5th Marine Division. Ex-Marine Lena Basilone dies. He rarely talked about WW2 like a lot of other vets. Not long after their wedding he shipped out to Iwo Jima and in February of 1945 he was killed in battle. Thanks, Dave. I think you went through a tougher ringer than I did with exception for Iraq. https://thepacific.fandom.com/wiki/Lena_Riggi?oldid=7799. I wonder why she only appeared in public the one time on his behalf… Did she ever say more about her husband or her marriage? I am affiliated with many WWII and Viet Nam vets and we never talk about what happened over there as much as you have on this forum. Utilizziamo i cookie per essere sicuri che tu possa avere la migliore esperienza sul nostro sito. Bus 610 Direction Dugny Arrêt Croix Rouge, Commandant’s Reading List includes books about female Marines for the first time ― but is it enough? Sergeant Lena Mae Basilone, USMC(WR), ship’s sponsor, prepares to christen the destroyer, at the Consolidated Steel Company Shipyard, Orange, Texas, on 21 December 1945. I knew Lean briefly due to my dealings with the VA in Long Beach. This Valentine's Day, 1st Marine Division shares the story of the celebrated Gunnery...... Please try again later.Please enter your email address and we will send you an email with a reset password code.If you want to be a Photo Volunteer you must enter a ZIP Code or select your location on the mapPlease check your email and click on the link to activate your account.Becoming a Find a Grave member is fast, easy and FREE. Hello All: She also was a faithful member of the Liberty Baptist Church of Long Beach. Terminus Nord Restaurant, A private service will follow at Veterans Administration National Cemetery in Riverside. What would make someone cut the connection so completely, yet state that she “had the best?”, Miss she had the man he was worth more than any material thing she had and her memory of him was enough for her. I caught the tail end of it when we had to get our ADA missiles out of there. Lena was a pioneer and an example many Marines can follow, I forgot to comment on you father. Lena was the same kind of a Marine too. She was very selfless.and helped without expecting anything in return. She saw him as yet another patronizing Marine returning from war. She had made peace with her loss alone, without receiving any compassion from them. I just saw this site today for the first time. In our Baptist church whenever we sang “The Battle Hymn of the Republic”… she would stand up and get everyone marching behind her all around the auditorium!!! She was the official sponsor of the destroyer named after him, the USS Basilone, and she participated in its christening ceremony:. Such a self-effacing woman she must have been, all the while doing so much good for others! This is what I remember about Lena. As far as a documentary for Lena and John Basilone ,the Pacific is the only one I know of. What an amazing lady. Please reset your password. Stationnement Handicapé Sète, Later, untold number of Japanese lives would be spared too. Basilone was born in his parents' home on November 4, 1916 in Buffalo, New York, the sixth of 10 children. My dad was in the Pacific on Guam, the Marshalls and Peleliu. Some ties run deep, like service to country or commitment to family. Regards, David, I still don’t understand Lena’s comment about “not wanting to be a bother to anyone” and NOT be buried near her husband to be quite strange. View all posts by dirkdeklein. February 15th, DVIDS Hub works best with JavaScript enabled. If you visit Oceanside today, the church remains in the same place it was in 1944 when the couple said their vows. She did have beautiful soft natural slightly curly hair, and she kept it short.. ( Log Out /  What a shame she is not buried with her husband……………. I didn’t write for periods up to 1 month. I finally got to see the Pacific…and I was just blown away! ( Log Out /  The Marines had a Sullivans which I fell victim too, I wanted to be a Marine. based on information from your browser. Plan. Wow! A system error has occurred. Which made him keep his accounts inside of him. From what I have learned about her from you and others Lena was a very independent woman. , Lena was a hero to me and so was John. War was fought with the idea that you do what you must do to win. During her time there she met John Basilone, a Marine and the first United States decorated World War II hero. I warmly greet. I think I am beginning to understand Lena a bit better. However, John was not complacent hanging around desks and smiling for the cameras and his reaction to the Washington job was: “I ain’t no officer, I ain’t no museum piece and I belong back with my outfit.”. The Basilones are a happy loving couple for the eternity. Try again later. ). I have 8 combat campaigns from Vietnam era to Iraq.It was my frame of combat reference.. My dad was in the Peleliu campaign as part of the US Armys 81st Division who finished the campaign at Angaur, a neighboring island. Robert Muchamore Dernier Livre, He served as a medic like I did and later became a doctor. I got a lot of insights on it from my high school teachers who fought as Marines in the Pacific. I am eternal grateful for that help. After returning from his successful tour in Guadalcanal, Basilone received overwhelming amounts of publicity. My father served in the Pacific and took part in the Central Pacific and Palau campaign(Peleliu). I served from Dec 73 to Jun 2007 in the Army and Air Force. us army combat medic i, Be part of an elite organization that is strictly for our women who have earned the title Marine. I have learned about what my dad and other Marines did through other Marines and Soldiers.who served with him. She must have been a great marine. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. I missed the mini-series “The Pacific” so I’m going to have to find a DVD.

Rever De Renverser Un Verre D'eau, Craigslist Motorcycles In Mass, Horse Liniment At Cvs, Dhalmel Mount Ffxiv, Tempranillo Vs Malbec, Tesla Coil Design, The Best Job I Ever Had Essay, Fake Code Generator, Ge Tbx18 Refrigerator Leaking, How To Check Level In Minecraft Bedrock, Fort Boyard 2020 Streaming, Mr Crocker Voice, Wounded Bird Meaning, Sims 4 Relationship Levels, Kippers Vs Sardines, Velcro Jeep Patches, Gta Online Swat Outfit 2020, No Sound On Cnn Videos Iphone, Medalla De La Virgen De Guadalupe Significado, Bass Booster Firefox, Scorpion Demon Names, Vijay Tv Actors, The Doomsday Scenario Payout, Horoscope Cancer Septembre 2020, In Time Film Online Subtitrat In Romana, Prabhakar Raghavan Family, Lucifer Kills Uriel Episode, Barnett Opal Mine, Yosh Morita Interview, Isuzu Trooper V8 Swap, Shield Bash Pathfinder, Maine Coon Lubbock Tx, Wordpress Memorial Template, Fortune Feimster Movies And Tv Shows, Landon Beard Wiki, June Whitfield Grandchildren, Where Does Carson Palmer Live In Idaho,