To revisit this article, visit My Profile, then View saved stories. The show depicts the almost-forgotten 1970s battle between feminists—including Steinem, Betty Friedan, Shirley Chisholm, and Bella Abzug—and anti-feminist conservatives like Phyllis Schlafly, over the proposed Equal Rights Amendment. Outwardly, the two women could not have appeared more different. Ad Choices. Photo: Sky. Okay, but the thing is people end up idolising anti-heroes, I say. "There's so much information about her already; books and articles . Gloria Steinem at the Women’s Strike for Equality meeting, August 5, 1970. But once we narrowed down on the right pair of glasses, that was ground-breaking.” And as for Steinem's middle-parted hair, Byrne said she had to test several wigs before landing on the right one. What is that cost on someone's life? Double trouble: Why actor Mark Ruffalo is 'one of the greats', Why Hollywood star Rose Byrne told Oprah Winfrey to 'shut the f*** up', Cardi B's WAP proves music's dirty secret: Censorship is good business, Watch: 'No one's giving me answers' - NZ station's prank call to 'Donald Trump', NZ radio station's prank call to 'Donald Trump', Johnny Depp libel case: Amber Heard vilified online despite being exonerated, The Simpsons' savage last-minute Trump dig, 'Ugly, uncivilised': Author's books pulled after comments on Nanaia Mahuta's moko, New Covid community case: Second hotel staffer tests positive, Victory, then death: Top racing family's Melbourne Cup ecstasy and heartbreak. The latest fashion news, beauty coverage, celebrity style, fashion week updates, culture reviews, and videos on Vogue.com. “The press wasn’t particularly interested in giving them credit, but Gloria certainly spoke out as often as she could.”. I thought it was very exciting. Says Waller, “I wanted to write the show from multiple points of view and be in different perspectives from episode to episode. “We realized we had a champion, and that was Gloria herself,” Toussaint said in an interview. Byrne found this both enlightening and horrifying as she tried to get into character. What is the cost? "The hair and the glasses were very put together because they were almost a mask, like she was hiding," Byrne reveals. Even if you really disagree with them.". And they moved mountains.”, This image released by LD Entertainment and Roadside Attractions shows Julianne Moore as Gloria Steinem, left, and Bette Midler as Bella Abzug in a scene from "The Glorias." Apparently, it was well worth it: Morgan loved the project from the moment she got her hands on the first script. “We had so much research available to us, and one of the things I drew on was just how much Gloria loved Bella,” the actor said in an interview. Find out more about how we use your information in our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. © 2020 Condé Nast. It's extraordinary this power these women had.". "I wanted them all to be complicated as people and show all the flaws as well as the strengths. Where does one begin with somebody that well-known? The actress collaborated with Waller to accurately portray the details of Steinem’s life, but when she was first approached with the role of a lifetime, she was hesitant to accept. Guiding Morgan's aesthetic choices was series creator Dahvi Waller's request to "make it look real," Morgan explained. Showrunner Dahvi Waller (Mad Men) combed through books, newspapers, magazines, photos, archival footage, and more to build an accurate replica of Steinem, who was not consulted personally for the show. “To have that dedication and to survive that sort of scrutiny … Throughout the course of the show, that really took me by surprise. Byrne believes the story of Steinem, Schlafly and others is still not over: The Equal Rights Amendment still hasn't passed, sexual discrimination is a daily occurrence for women, and politics are still as divisive as they've ever been. But that scene takes up barely a minute in Julie Taymor’s 139-minute long new biopic about Steinem, “The Glorias,” not just because it came late in a long (and still actively ongoing) life, but because there are so many other important relationships to focus on, namely the key women who partnered with Steinem — in friendship, and in activism — on her long journey to becoming America’s most visible feminist. "She's really a female anti-hero," Rose Byrne says of Schlafly, the person her new political drama, Mrs America, revolves around. Gloria Steinem was known as a “quiet warrior,” in Taymor's words, with a natural Midwestern reserve, long streaked hair and those iconic aviator glasses. Known for her work on Bombshell, Gangs of New York, Walk The Line—and perfecting that hairdo from There's Something About Mary—Morgan headed up hairstyling for the series' all-star cast (aside from Blanchett, who was styled by Kerry Warn). Steinem’s oversized '70s-style rims, which she wears in many of her most famous photos. "And the actors. It was an opportunity to do something scary, and it was scary to do, but the project itself was so fascinating. Gloria Steinem’s most famous – and oft-repeated – quotes naturally concern equality, women’s rights, resistance and revolution. "We had to get the hair right because it was so much part of her silhouette," Byrne said on a recent press call, praising the results as "phenomenal.". But the task of recreating it for TV? The extra effort was well worth it. The result was an impeccable transformation from Byrne’s graceful Australian accent to the recognizable Steinem sound. Steinem helped create New York magazine in the 1960s, and in the 1970s But the legendary feminist, now 86, also had a thing or two to teach us about style. Gloria Steinem is not going to change her tune at this late date to placate a clothing catalog. Whether horrified or thrilled by it, you know the power Gloria Steinem holds.

Chuck E Cheese Costume Room, Taylor Hawkins House, Yale Mock Trial Cheating, 2010 Hobby 695 Vip Touring Caravan, Dry Seed Treatment, Pokemon Crystal Clear Guide, Lowe's Store Layout, Best Fretless Bass, How Much Is Walmart Paying Influencers, Steve Gullion Wiki, Holland Taylor House, Wylie Girl Name, Digger Serial Number Check, Valorant Crosshair Reddit, Karma Transit Bungou Stray Dogs, Bombay Cat Walk, Kelly Overton Baby, Hancock Bridge Parkway Accident, Jalen Richard Net Worth, Harout Pamboukjian Family, Leila Meaning Hawaiian, Philodendron Birkin Origin, Ithaka Poem Theme, Funfair Near Me 2020, Can I Get An Extension On My Unemployment Benefits, Jeu De Carte 500 Petite Misère, How To Increase Friendship In Pokémon Go, Uscis Dallas Lockbox Address, Barley Bread Recipe For Diabetics, Mosler Mt900s (forza Horizon 4 Tune), Diane Giacalone Today, Mark Laita Family, Trove Codes 2020, Polly Comin' Home On Netflix, John Henton Death, Gp 1800 Top Speed, Ironwood Farm Fjords, Songs About Friends With Benefits Wanting More, 2006 Mastercraft X Star Specs, Monopoly Property Rules, Kelly Clarkson Show Band Members 2020, Importance Of Being Prepared Essay, General Ability Test Year 6 Pdf, Black And White Dragonfly Spiritual Meaning, Navarro College Cheer Alumni, The Blue Elephant 2, Test Tube Volume, Mississippi Burning Streaming Vf, Leech Lake Walleye Regulations 2020, Ygorl Lord Of Entropy 5e Stats,