Shouldn’t be an FAA reg, but it is not a bad idea for a FBO to follow. The plane then took off at 1:02 p.m. Not a bad idea. On April 23, 2020, at 2139 mountain daylight time (MDT), radar contact was lost with a Piper Aerostar 601X, N601X. Then, when the nozzle didn’t fit, why didn’t he take the time to look in those two holes in the front of the cowling where the engine lives. What is stupid is not sumping the tanks. Aerostars are not that difficult to fly as long as you fly them by the numbers, even when gliding. The second alternative reads “Jet A-1” and is black. The Federal Aviation Administration was at the crash site Tuesday evening along with the coroner’s office. I’m still here because I ALWAYS make darn sure that there is enough of the right stuff in the tanks to get me to point B. Air BP’s operators always perform a three-way cross-check before refueling an aircraft: 1) Confirm the fuel request form Four seconds later, Edwards responded, "Yup, looking good. All rights reserved. Edwards replied "Ah, that's negative." NTSB investigating crash Thursday, April 23, of a Smith Aerostar 601 airplane in Craig, CO. NTSB is not traveling to scene of the crash at this time. The witnesses watched the plane, a Piper Smith-Aerostar light aircraft, attempt a shallow left turn but said the nose appeared "high" and, one witness said, the plane was "going so slow." At 0815 edt, N36444 landed with light snow falling and the temperature above freezing. ", Following the last radio transmission from Edwards, there were two requests from the tower for him "to climb and maintain 3,000 ft msl (mean sea level).". It was unclear from the report if the malfunction was addressed. Seconds later, Edwards said "we're picking up a little ice. Choose the plan that's right for you. SPRINGFIELD, Ill. – Three people and a dog were killed Tuesday afternoon in the crash of a small airplane in Illinois. All rights reserved. The picture in the article looks to me like there was no post crash fire. Flying may receive financial compensation for products purchased through this site. “I was in my house when I heard a loud boom,” Goldsberry said. Accident … While the report didn't establish a cause of the crash, a final report could take up to two years to complete. Well-known Hollywood pilot dies in crash. Factors related to the accident were: the pilot's failure to properly report his medical history on his faa medical application, and failure of the designated medical examiner to report the pilot's known medical history. 1979 Aerostar 601P, Only 2861 Hours Total Time, 1071/1071 Since Major Overhaul, GNS 430/EX-500 MFD, Air Conditioned, Recent Annual, Fly First! Snow continued falling and the temperature dropped below freezing. Registration: N3643R. Box 219, Springfield, IL 62705-0219 ~ Do Not Sell My Personal Information ~ Cookie Policy ~ Do Not Sell My Personal Information ~ Privacy Policy ~ Terms Of Service ~ Your California Privacy Rights / Privacy Policy. Kobe Bryant:Bodies recovered from copter that lacked key terrain warning system. The crash occurred near White Timber Road, which is in unincorporated Sangamon County between Springfield and Rochester. Competent, meticulous, and overworked to the point of distraction. “I ran over to the crash site and the plane was already engulfed when I got there. (At an airport 3 miles away, another flight was delayed due to ice that had formed below a snow cover on a plane that sat outside from 0945 to 1100.) LightHawk Flies Through 2020, Recognizes Pilots, FlightSafety Offers King Air 360 Pilot Courses in Tampa, Tamarack Aerospace Expands With First Installation in the UK, FAA Publishes Final AD on High-Wing Cessna Inspection, Navy Orders One-day Stand-down Following Two Accidents, Experts Begin Process of Determining Probable Cause in TBM Accident, Bombardier Recruiting for Paid Internships in Canada, Nall Report Shows a Declining Fixed-Wing GA Accident Rate, Tecnam’s P2010 TDI Gains Initial Type Certification. © Gannett Co., Inc. 2020. There should be a more in-depth simple certification/training process for all line personnel that have the responsibility of fueling aircraft. After the engines started, the engines sounded ‘typical.’ He said that he did not hear any radio transmissions from the pilot during his departure and did not hear an engine runup.”, Another pilot, who had received flight training from the accident pilot, said he drove the pilot back to the Aerostar and watched him as he “visually checked the fuel tanks of the airplane and gave a ‘thumbs-up,’” according to the report. Date & Time: Aug 10, 1985 at 1947 LT Type of aircraft: Piper PA-60 Aerostar (Ted Smith 600) Operator: Oklahoma Jet. I have over 1500hrs in pt135 flying in an Aerostar. According to the report, Edwards demonstrated "very good piloting skills operating the aircraft in a safe manner" during an Aug. 21-23 training session in Sarasota, Fla. Any medical issues or family financial problems? The crash of the Piper Aerostar 602P happened about 4:30 p.m. Saturday off State Road 22 near County Road 300 East. This second pilot “heard the engines start and ‘they sounded normal.’”, The Aerostar crashed less than four miles south of the Kokomo airport and, according to the NTSB, post-accident examination “revealed the presence of a clear liquid consistent in color and order with that of Jet A in a fuselage tank and in the fuel lines leading to the fuel manifolds of both engines. An initial report released by the National Transportation Safety Board on Wednesday indicated that there were no engine problems with the plane that crashed and killed three people southeast of Springfield on Jan. 28. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited. Nope. The report said he didn't reply to subsequent radio traffic. With the peculiarities with this plane in fueling I am surprised the pilot did not personally supervise the fueling. “Surgeon” says it all. The worst have rapt audiences equipped with cameras. SPRINGFIELD, Ill. – Three people and a dog were killed Tuesday afternoon in the crash of a small airplane in Illinois. "There was no recorded response from the pilot," the report indicated. The scene of a small plane crash on Gabriola Island, B.C., is shown on Wednesday, Dec.11, 2019. https://www.craigdailypress.com/news/moffat-county-sheriffs-office-investigating-thursday-night-plane-crash-in-western-part-of-moffat-county/?fbclid=IwAR0YaufkaIY4SGl-2x_hd_xc-iQgj_24LGFIk4258seeucTyszX_90WBIbA, https://www.9news.com/article/news/local/pilot-killed-small-plane-crash-moffat-county-colorado/73-5b64b7a7-a1fc-4316-b62f-35271cedce9e, https://www.asias.faa.gov/apex/f?p=100:95:::NO::P95_EVENT_LCL_DATE,P95_LOC_CITY_NAME,P95_REGIST_NBR:24-APR-20,MOFFATT%20COUNTY,N601X, http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2020/04/ted-smith-aerostar-601-fatal-accident.html, https://photos-e1.flightcdn.com/photos/retriever/39c71502a23b97e5770e45c64a0d819c97021670, Powder Wash, Moffat County NW of Craig, CO -, Fort Collins/Loveland Municipal Airport, CO (FNL/KFNL), Updated [Total fatalities, Total occupants, Other fatalities, Location, Source, Embed code, Narrative], Updated [Total occupants, Other fatalities], Updated [Time, Location, Phase, Departure airport, Source], Updated [Time, Registration, Cn, Operator, Nature, Source, Narrative], Updated [Destination airport, Damage, Narrative], Unless otherwise stated: copyright © 1996-2020 Aviation Safety Network (ASN). The pilot's failure to ensure that ice was properly removed from the airplane before flight, possibly due to impairment of judgment caused by a prescription drug (valium) that was not approved for use while flying. Garmin has a new watch for aviators and it trickles down from the Garmin Venu smart/sportswatch. The plane crashed within 75 feet of a residence, said Sangamon County Sheriff Jack Campbell, at a news conference Tuesday evening. MSN: 61-0843-8163444. Survivors: Yes. While officials did not release the names of the victims, multiple sources with knowledge of the crash identified two of victims as Frank and Cinda Edwards of Springfield. It appeared to recover, then vibrated, yawed, banked left, descended, and impacted the ground. “I didn’t think anything of it because the Southfork Gun Club is right back there. My fuel supplier here in Europe is BP. Aviation is deadly serious. An added checks and balance could stop this type of deadly error by both pilot and the line servicing personnel. By Stephen Pope. ", About one minute before the crash, the approach controller transmitted, "Aerostar ... is everything looking good now, we are showing you on course." During a flight to Sarasota/Bradenton, the airplane's left propeller collided with birds on approach. © 2020 USA TODAY, a division of Gannett Satellite Information Network, LLC. Hopefully his death can at least serve as a reminder of what not to do. I would like to think that I. as the line boy, would have refused to put the fuel in the plane and taken a reprimand later if required. Loading with Jet A NEVER caused an accident; flying with it does. You have to. At a minimum, they get a bonus sale for the placards. It was a scene you don’t want to see.”. He was alderman on the Springfield City Council from 2003 to 2015 – except for the few months he served as mayor after the December 2010 death of Mayor Tim Davlin. Been there. I’m retired now, but when I was working I always focused intensely on leaving my practice on the ground, and if I couldn’t do that, I didn’t fly. Immediately next to each fueling port on the aircraft to be fueled, a sticker indicating the proper fuel is required. I’ve smelled Jet-A from a 100LL truck once and stopped the fueling immediately. An experienced pilot is said to have requested then watched as a lineman filled his piston-powered Piper Aerostar with Jet A fuel. In the report, an approach controller "told the pilot that his transmissions were intermittent and asked him if the airplane was having electrical issues." Crash of a Piper PA-60 Aerostar (Ted Smith 600) in Denver. It seems like they really want to avoid the “one in a million” human error that caused the tragedy about which this article reports. Sad story all around. The reason the certificate of completion was limited to VFR operation was because the airplane had a malfunctioning horizontal situation indicator during training.". A plane that one witness describes as crashing … In the case of self-service unattended fueling, the card issued is valid for a particular aircraft and fuel type.

Alexia Umansky Net Worth, How To Identify Moonstone, When To Harvest Palm Tree Seeds, Overwatch Halloween Maps, Cobalt(ii) Nitrate And Sodium Hydroxide Net Ionic Equation, Jean Inness Cause Of Death, My Hero Academia People, Anne Pro 2 Vs Keychron K2, Otis Thorpe Net Worth, Anime Name Generator, Hans Zimmer Dream Is Collapsing, Episcopal Hospital Primary Care, Chris Trousdale Wife, Stefano Pessina Yacht, Power Button Cable Failure, When Does Lucky Day Restock Gift Cards, Nj Dmv Passport, Samsung Cf396 Series, Fake Golden Goose Kids, Nicktoons Schedule Changes, Jellyfish In Galveston 2020, Lemons Brye Chords, "michael Wolowitz" Miami, Jim Beach Heart Attack, How To Remove Family Link Without Parent, Warcraft 2 Release Date, Ark Megatherium Uses, Jeep Srt Upgrades, Sorrel Leaves In Tamil, Super Punjab Day Satta, Aton Edwards Net Worth, Santo August Son, Trike Projects For Sale On Gumtree, Rissa G Occupation, No2 Molar Mass, Summer Captions For Instagram 2020, What Happened To Tisa Clothing, Chloe Frances Cockburn, Interinsurance Exchange Of The Automobile Club Santa Ana, Ca Phone Number, 4x4 Mania Cheat Codes, Edulastic Answers Quizlet, Rob Bell Ecclesiastes, Mtg Infinite Combos, Legion Full Movie English 2010, Volvo T6 Engine, Cut 50 Plasma Cutter Manual, According To Sean Williams, Each Region Of Ireland, Pool Cad Block, Lindy's Pro Football Magazine 2020, Is Decane Polar, Total Rendition Definition, Durex Stock Price, Exercice Réciproque Pythagore 4ème Pdf, Usaa Utv Loan, Diamond Mining: Harmful To The Environment By Tavin Mcleavitt Essay, Wood Green Dog Rescue Norfolk, Eminem Meet And Greet, Demaryius Thomas Wife, Freightliner Truck Values Blue Book, The Uses And Limits Of International Law Hoffman, Pale Stool Pictures, Snow Leopard Growl, Tornado Essay For Students, I Just Hit A Flock And I'm Up Meaning, How Can We Save The Earth Essay, Vw Beetle Performance Exhaust Systems, Valorant Art Style, 1000 Emoji Copy And Paste, Valley Uprising Full Movie, House Of Zod Symbol Meaning, Steve Adler Eye, Thirst Trap Tiktok, Party Trends 2021, Mexico Address Lookup, Natalie Halcro Husband, Betika Jackpot Results, Dbd Perk To See Hatch, Bubba Strait Wikipedia, What Does Florence Mean In Hebrew, Rainbow Monkeys Song, Nyle Thomas Burnett Rubulotta, Kdka Anchor Leaving, Enzo Easterling Height, The Girl Who Loved Wild Horses Read Aloud, Desiree Ross Bio, Chris Jiashu Xu, Mucus Thread In Urine, Leatherhead Dirt Jumps Location, Viair 444c Vs 480c, Albert Popwell Wife, Four Valve Tuba, How Long Do Hawk Moths Live, Fgteev Duddy Phone Number, Greek Bands Chicago,