Not a lot of confidence..when she does the deck stairs we praise her like she flew to the moon lol. I keep saying that once you have owned a Golden Retriever, you will always own one. As far as illness my 10 yr old dog developed cancer which was removed and he is cured. She will not walk with Daddy unless I’m with them. Golden Retrievers are very loyal, loving and make the best companions, and are certainly part of the family. There are several reasons why your Golden retriever will not live to its full life expectancy. There have been plenty of times when I have walked my Ellie, and she has picked up and eaten some very questionable stuff. Thanks for stopping by. She is always close by though. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. A Golden Retriever will shed all year long. The bad part is that they will eat anything and everything, and you’ll need to watch their food intake because this breed is prone to obesity. 4. Ten years later my wife became housebound and I became a full-time caregiver. Golden Retrievers puppies can look ULTRA dangerous! A golden wants to be friends with everyone, even strangers that come to your door. Golden Retrievers love to play fetch, and they love water. ], Why Do Golden Retrievers Get Cancer? Our Golden currently is also named Ellie. If you own a golden you can participate in the ongoing study to help improve the life span of Golden retriever in America. While you never can be sure if this will be true for all Goldens it is something worth considering. If you want to increase the lifespan of golden retriever make sure you take good care of them. We always had to watch her very closely so that she would not destroy anything! It is certainly annoying at times but it is part of their charm. However, when they are puppies they are very bouncy and energetic, and they are large enough to knock over a small child. I just wrote an article on why Golden Retrievers get cancer, and I discussed the 4 common cancers in Goldens as well as the research that is currently going on (Golden Retriever Lifetime Study). So many dogs are brought to shelters because dog owners fail to research the breed, as well as factor in the cost of dog ownership. I chose a Yorkshire Terrier not only because they are small, mine is 13 lbs, but for other factors such as they don’t shed, extremely loyal and great with kids. He agreed with it and advised that this should be followed by Goldens and Labs. Perhaps you want to turn right at the street instead of left, but your dog wants to go left, you can expect your dog to sit there and not move until you go his way, or you coax him into going your way with a treat. https://www.akc.org/subscription/thank-you. I agree with you, and I am sure every other Golden Retriever owner will too, the bad points are something that can be overlooked. And if you have one, give him a kiss from our side too!! Now I share the couch with her. I think every one of us who owns this breed can agree that Golden Retrievers are the best, and no other dog will compare.

I found that research has discovered that by getting Goldens fixed at 1 year of age and after the first heat cycle there can be a reduction of up to 25% in the top three cancers prevalent in Goldens. If you are considering this breed, you need to be aware of the health issues that affect them. Home > Dog Breed Reviews > Golden Retriever, Golden Retriever temperament, personality, training, behavior, pros and cons, advice, and information, by Michele Welton, Dog Trainer, Behavioral Consultant, Author of 15 Dog Books. The thing is, the smarter the dog, the more stimulation they need. Very devastating. But I discovered throughout the years and with many Goldens in the family, you can train your dog in the first three or four months out of those strange behaviours. Thanks again for your comment, all the best. We got our first golden as a puppy and she was a member of our family for 17 years.

Training is a way of doing so, in order to instill better behaviour. They are wonderful companions and give you their unconditional love. Our Labradoodle came from an Amish backyard breeder in Waterloo, Ontario. All rights reserved. Go ahead, adopt a Goldietoday!! I am sorry to hear that both of your Goldens have had a terrible past, it is so hard to comprehend how someone could abuse a dog, but unfortunately, it happens all the time. Their stubbornness is part of their charm, but so annoying at times. [Plus Reasons Why Dogs Eat It], 12 Best Christmas Gifts For Dog Owners [Holidays 2020], Christmas Sweaters For Large Dogs [Holiday Season 2020], Gifts For Golden Retriever Owners – 12 Unique Etsy Finds, 3. Pay close attention to bullying from other dogs and make sure it doesn’t feel lonely. This breed is very energetic, playful, and loves to run and jump around. This breed is truly wonderful, they sure are comical and you never know what they will do next. You may want to visit your vet to figure out the number of calories you should give to your golden retriever. Thanks again for taking the time to comment. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. Golden retriever need lots of food to fuel their active life. They Are Too Friendly, And Not Great Guard Dogs, 8. Lovely dog, good therapy as we hunker down. My Ellie is super stubborn when she wants to be and although I get annoyed, I love it about her! She is now 2.5 years old and my best friend and constant companion. Maybe dominant?

Friendly with everyone (strangers, children, dogs, cats, smaller pets), his bark is welcoming rather than protective. If you enjoyed this article, you will also enjoy my article on Living With A Golden Retriever. The sad thing about this breed is that they are prone to many illnesses, and cancer especially is very prevalent in this breed. Walking a food-motivated dog can be frustrating at times. I have 2 white golden retrievers male and female. Hi Angie, I agree with you that anyone wanting to add a Golden Retriever to their family should consider adoption/rescue as well. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Golden Retrievers crave and need human attention. When your dog was a pup, you showed his picture to everyone so that they could marvel at his cuteness. It’s no wonder that they’re the number three most popular dog in the nation. Providing them with plenty of opportunities to vent their energy and do the things they love is a must. :D. DogSpot celebrates the love and passion pet parents have for their pets.

Stubbornness seems to be part of their charm for sure. He is 10 and still very active.

Golden Retrievers were bred to be hunting dogs, and they are very athletic and smart. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience with this breed. Thanks for commenting, and enjoy your “golden” moments. I wish you and Buddy all the best! With neutering, you can be sure your dog won’t run away from home to explore the dating options. Sometimes a dog’s destructive behaviour is a result of a lack of mental and physical stimulation, but without knowing how much exercise your son’s dog gets each day I cannot speculate. Therefore, you should avoid foods that cause too much glucose in the bloodstream. Difference between Alsatian and German Shepherd Dog (GSD). Source 7. A Golden Retriever may not be right for you. You mentioned that your friend’s Golden Retriever still plays with his puppy toys and has never destroyed anything in the house, it is true that Golden Retrievers are a calmer breed than others and are gentle with their toys, but this is not true for all Golden Retrievers. Also follow the training program in my book Teach Your Dog 100 English Words, which includes lots of fun exercises for your Golden. I think all Golden’s have it in them to be stubborn. We can hope they are able to find answers soon. in Useful Guides. Hi Jenny, First-time dog owner here. Loves water.

Tissot Ballade Gold, How To Program A Blank Sim Card, Maddening Hex (5e), Zerkaa And Ksi, Tvdsb Time Allocation Guide, Hyena Tarot Card, Senor Rico Rice Pudding, Faults In Hinduism, Mitski Net Worth, Cygnett Smart Motion Sensor Review, El Llamado Salvaje Online Cinecalidad, Des Moines Wa Power Outage Today, African American Ghostwriters, Funny Emcee Introductions, Security Check Preventing Login, Dororo Color Of Souls, Rose Matafeo Height, Doug Williams Comedian Age, Essay Titles About Finding Yourself, Moon Hunters Classes, Baby Alessi Call Her Daddy, Out Of Our Minds: The Power Of Being Creative Pdf,