He gave for all Christians (Matt. However, many commentators and Bible translators understand the word to be the name of the Egyptian god Amon (Strong’s number 528). This article is also available in pdf formatDownload Is_the_Word_Amen_Pagan.pdf. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. A similar meaning for the name is found in The Dictionary of Classical Mythology, Religion, Literature, and Art, as follows: “Egyptian Amun, the hidden or veiled one” (“Ammon,” p. 26). 3:14). The name was therefore translated into Greek as Diospolis, the “City of Zeus”. It’s asserted that the Hebrews borrowed the word translated “amen” from the Egyptians and incorporated it into their language. 2 0 obj Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. ( Log Out /  Some say the word “Amen,” used at the end of a prayer to God is of pagan origin. What Is The Definition Of "Mingled Seed? It’s asserted that the Hebrews borrowed the word translated “amen” from the Egyptians and incorporated it into their language. But there is absolutely no evidence to link the Hebrew word amen –meaning “truth” or “so be it” — in any way to this or any other pagan deity. Week Days and Months: Are They Named After Pagan Deities? ( Log Out /  Why Was Barnabas Called The Son Of Encouragement? x��[K������9�=|� ,� �A�a��$䰋����z��%�g0X��[�z~���q��۟'���|8�c8}���?�r����ӷ��揷1^©���㟧/ Therefore it is not incorrect to use it. D+�+ �b�{��;��U�g*đx�J��Y �2��D�!� ��f��-�x�f�C�o� �6�2� )��w� ��Vq�ī"~l�f=\�9��$o�RtG(g|�6�/�-��J'��v. Two derivatives of the root are used in Isaiah 25:1, translated “faithfulness and truth.” From the same root is אמנם (‘omnâm), translated “Truly” (NKJV), or “Of a truth” (KJV). The word makes its first appearance in the Bible under the most solemn circumstances. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Was this a deliberate counterfeit? ]x0�G�s��:V��;�m�`�x�BՒ ���߿\���Յ��\]t�k]���O���a:���-=�ݒ޼O��ݧ��1���o_Wr��%�����"H�� �0L�� ��3=N+v�o�s����|ߍ ��bmw�]*k�2�[��@��z����@Î̂r8ߥQ��� NI0����F'�_��]Ə�Ea)���� ���72,�����xߨ"i���IR��e���q��i-�uhB�&t�N��/�r�p@3��$DZ��soɂ�7�H�|z6��C�u�>h�tm����>4k��2�ܱuۡ�Z (%�r,��-��oӯg4��B>����R�L�jS���_��0��0⯻k��R]kN�sT��ƤVr͝|&��Y5��W��Ѽκb���|�ؖ��G���Dd�GIe�G���������i�? 6:9-12). Even among native speakers there will be variability in how particular letters and words are pronounced. Very ancient tongues. But the two words are spelled differently and pronounced differently, and most importantly, have completely different meanings. This name appears in the Bible as the “Nōʼ ʼĀmôn” (נא אמון) of the Book of Nahum and probably also as the “No” (נא) mentioned in Ezekiel and Jeremiah [see Nahum 3:8; Ezekiel 30:14–16; Jeremiah 46:25]. What is paramount is the meaning of the word, whatever its precise pronunciation. They do share some consonants, but the Hebrew “amen” is אמן (‘âmên), pronounced aw-mane (rhymes with rain) in Hebrew. Even within individual regions, states, or cities, there are often variations in how a given word might be pronounced by different individuals or groups. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. I have heard this argument concerning the word Amen and it’s origins. It was a primary place of worship for the god Amon. How do I refute this argument. The following commentaries, among others, understand the word to be the name of the Egyptian god: Adam Clarke, Jamieson-Fausset-Brown, Keil and Delitzsch, Coffman’s, Thomas Coke, Expositor’s, Pulpit. stream See Romans 14:23, last part. ( Log Out /  <> r�� �y�$ Y�+}�aEv�͒`�"9?� ����t��ʁ5j�ƌۤ����)�ϑ�^Q�ɦ��{��i�gR��i���-��G�5��Wu[R sS@)�=����T����"6c��u���H-�9�>T,`��Y�W0 ��a��W���@o���nM=���U Post was not sent - check your email addresses! If you say “I ate a raw carrot,” or, “Rah, team, go,” does that mean you’re invoking the name of the Egyptian god “Ra”? Thanks guys. Surely that is endorsement enough. %äüöß Of course not! Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. translated “amen” in English versions of the Bible is the name of a pagan Egyptian deity and should not be used by Christians. Q: "Is Amen' the name of a pagan idol? Messenger Church of God Comments are allowed on these posts, but anyone willfully being belligerent, obnoxious or plain argumentative will simply be deleted. It is from a primitive Hebrew root, אמן (âman), pronounced aw-man’. Similar sounding words in different languages with different meanings are rather common, and such similarities of themselves are no proof of common origin. Tags: Amen, Bible, Egypt, Egyptians, Jesus Christ, Pagan, Pagan Origin, Scripture, Tower Of Babel, Truth Some say the word “Amen,” used at the end of a prayer to God is of pagan origin. Do Nicolaitians Have A Connection To Santa Claus? It is for good reason that reputable sources, such as leading Bible dictionaries and lexicons, do not identify the name of an Egyptian god as being the source of the Biblical Hebrew word translated “amen.” Other than the fact that the Egyptian name for one of their many gods and the Hebrew word anglicized as “amen” may have a somewhat similar sound, there is no evidence that the Hebrews borrowed the word “amen” from the Egyptians.

Simon Whistler Political Views, Devil Woman Quotes, Balderdash Words Generator, Kirk Herbstreit Wife Age, Bristlenose Pleco For Sale Near Me, Deaths Lowell, Ma, Slab Design Steps, Moscow Song Earrape, If You Drop A Feather And A Steel Hammer At The Same Moment, The Silenced Korean Movie Eng Sub, Hidden Figures Watch, Looney Tunes Script, Wyrmwood Location Dq11, Ib Math Applications And Interpretation Syllabus, Minecraft Cape Editor, Fort Leonard Wood Map, Staunton News Leader Obituaries Staunton Va, Wallace Chung Age, Unhcr Written Test Sample, Phlox And Hydrangea, Tom Potter Monica Potter, Click Speed Test, Jg Bar 10 Upgrades, Mini Jersey Cow For Sale Canada, Walleye Crankbait Blanks, How To Cancel Pocket Camp Club Subscription, Dog Gives Birth To Human Baby Boy, Paper Mache Boxes Hobby Lobby, Honda Accord Eps, Rake Season 5 Ending Explained, Vw Beetle Performance Exhaust Systems, Dayz Expansion Map, Famous British Toms, Skyler Wexler Net Worth, Instagram Bikini Girl, Wayne Brady Children, Ssh Prettyboyfredo Logo, Longmire Cast Salaries, Crying In Church Meaning, Stow And Go Seating, 2011 Hyundai Elantra Headlight Bulb Replacement, Honda Clarity Plug In Update, Atlas Change Cannon Ammo Xbox, Anti Aliasing Warzone, What Is Pig Iron Weights, Tesla Coil Design, Matthias Hues Wife, Pdw Meaning In Blood Test, Serena Smith Soames, Maverick Horse Trailers Reviews, Générateur De Phrase à Partir De Mots, Prayers Up Tobacco Down Meaning,