Most Probes sold in the United States were equipped with air conditioning. Gen 1 Probes - 1989-1992 . Did you know these Probes were used for the cars driving around in Hilldale in 2015? [citation needed]. The Probe succeeded the Ford EXP, and the instrument cluster of the first-generation Probe and pop-up headlight mechanisms were borrowed from the FC RX-7. Similar to the Thunderbird Turbo Coupe we just featured, this sport compact Ford is also saddled with an automatic, but perhaps the slushbox spared it from a boy-racer fate. back when I was a kid it stood for Drugs Are Really Expensive. Appearance wise, the only noticeable differences from the GT model were the wheels, "SE" nomenclature, rear bumper w/o air slot and lack of fog lights. D.A.R.E. The Probe was the result of Ford's collaboration with its longtime Japanese partner, Mazda, and both generations of Probe were derived from the front-wheel drive Mazda G platform that underpinned the Mazda Capella. The only standout Ford Probe I can remember is the one driven by Bob Glidden. I think that they are awesome little cars! This package was offered in 1994 only, and was exclusive to GT models.

FYI you can get them for $150 on eBay. 1996 Ford Probe GT with saddle leather interior. Coletti's team heavily revised the 1979 Fox platform for the new car, which eventually became the fourth-generation Ford Mustang released for the 1994 model year. And if you only want to see cars with a single owner, recent price drops, photos, or available financing, our filters can help with that too. GT models get a cloth or leather insert on the door panels. It may not be cali but who doesn’t love a black plate. https://www.automobile-catalog.com/make/ford_usa/probe_1gen/probe_1gen_gt/1990.html. An interesting car that shared a platform with the Mazda MX6 and built at the Ford/Mazda plant in Flat Rock, Michigan. 1997 Ford Probe STD . At this point, somewhat ironically, Mustang sales, which were lackluster, grew substantially after the article's publication, out of fear that it would be the last opportunity to purchase a traditional RWD V8 Mustang. [1], Starting in the late 1970s, Ford and Ghia started exploring a series of futuristic designs with the "Probe" series of concept vehicles. By 1992, Ford had decided that there was now justifiable demand in Europe for a new affordable sports coupe to be launched. The Probe was available in several trim levels that differ depending on the market in which the vehicle was sold. The name change was intended to attract younger buyers into Mercury showrooms, but this proved unsuccessful. Shop millions of cars from over 21,000 dealers and find the perfect car. Common Justin, what kind of shape are they in for 150.00? Now it looks so ancient, the ruins in Athens almost look contemporary by comparison. Toshi Saito, a North American-based designer working for Ford, took the lead in envisioning styling directions for the front-wheel drive Mustang, and a design by Saito was chosen and finalized in late 1983. The last Probe was built on June 20, 1997. The first time I saw one of these was at the only full car wash gas station in my home town.

Or subscribe without commenting. At first both engines shared the same automatic transmission, the Ford F-4EAT transmission, but from 1994 onwards this changed. All had 5 speed manuals, The 4sp auto was optional. However, production for the SN-16 was about to commence, meaning Ford had to put it on sale or lose its development budget along with further potential financial headaches if Ford would break its production contract with Mazda. For 1993 and 1994, Ford offered a "SE" appearance package on the base model Probe. As first planned during 1992, it finally went on sale in Europe in the spring of 1994, filling the gap left there by Ford in that market sector since the demise of the Capri seven years earlier. Back to the Future II. Imagine the fun of ownership stating “Hey everyone I just got probed by Ford” . It was impossibly modern then. Now showing 49k miles, the car is finished in white over a gray cloth interior and powered by a turbocharged 2.2-liter inline … While Trotman approved the development of a RWD successor, there were many difficulties, notably that the engineering budget for the Mustang was spent on the SN-16 and Ford was still recovering from a financial crisis of the early 1980s that brought the company close to bankruptcy until the Taurus arrived. The package offered 3 spoke swirl-style alloy wheels, the GT model's ground effects, and the GT model's front bumper. It also made Car and Driver magazine's Ten Best list for 1989, 1993, and 1994. In the article, the Probe listed at about $15,000. Probe GT gets more refined suspension to improve ride. [24] The name change was intended to attract younger buyers into Mercury showrooms, but this proved unsuccessful. The public outcry was immediate, with many Mustang fans and pony car purists detesting the SN-16's Japanese engineering, front-wheel drive platform and lack of a V8 engine, which were anathema to traditional Mustang buyers and enthusiasts. Refined drive ability and a factory appearance make this kit the perfect choice for the Ford Probe & Mazda MX6 KLZE 2.5L torque monsters. Description: Used 1997 Ford Probe STD for sale - $1,700 - 189,000 miles. However, the late 1980s and early 1990s saw the sales of affordable sports cars recover, first with a rising demand for Japanese built models like the Honda Prelude, Nissan Silvia, Mitsubishi Eclipse, and Toyota Celica, and then with the Volkswagen Corrado and the Vauxhall/Opel Calibra from Ford's direct competitor General Motors.

Both generations of the Probe were sold in Japan as Fords, at Ford/Mazda sales channels called Autorama. The pop-up headlights still work as intended, and the only real issue is a potentially near-replacement steering rack.

The examples and perspective in this article, Car and Driver, August 1992, Vol.38 No.2, Pages 32-37, Ford original sales brochure, Litho in Canada 4/92, Pages 20-21, Ford original sales brochure, Litho in Canada 9/93, Page 14, Learn how and when to remove this template message, exterior dimensions and engine displacement, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, "How Ford's pony car survived a brush with death", "If You Can`t Find A Ford Probe, Try Its Cousin: Mazda`s Mx-6", "Curbside Classic: 1990 Ford Probe GT – Under Pressure", "Mimi Vandermolen, the Ergonomics Genius Behind Ford's "Rounded Edge Revolution, https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15142784/1993-ford-probe-gt-archived-test-review/, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ford_Probe&oldid=982272569, Motor vehicles manufactured in the United States, Articles with dead external links from October 2010, Articles with limited geographic scope from November 2016, Articles with unsourced statements from February 2016, Articles with unsourced statements from June 2013, Articles with unsourced statements from August 2019, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, 217 N⋅m (160 lb⋅ft; 22 kg⋅m) @ 3.0krpm ('90), 121.5 kW (163 hp; 165.3 PS) @ 5.6krpm ('91-'94), 212 N⋅m (156.4 lb⋅ft; 21.6 kg⋅m) @ 4.0krpm ('91-'94), 113 mph (181.9 km/h) (electronically limited). Wow how time flies! The earlier turbo 2.3 L in the first gen Fox Mustangs and Capri’s were earlier attempts but not quite the same as later T-bird/Mercury/Merkur motors which had higher outputs due to changes learn from the earlier motors which on some models included an inter cooler to better handle higher temps and provide higher output as well as better ECU’s that failed less often due to the higher engine bay temps associated with turbo 4’s. I think they added ground effects to make them even more futuristic (and look the part of a flying car). I got to Paterson at 12.00, was out the door with this nice car by 1pm. Jeff, you seriously need to revisit the definition of “immaculate” in the dictionary. I haven’t seen any car for 150.00 forever! This not a real Probe GT. It was decided that the SN-16 would be released as the Ford Probe in 1988, taking the name from Ford's line of futuristic concept vehicles, and be sold alongside the Mustang, which would continue production in its then-current form with minor refreshing. [18], Two automatic transmissions were available in the Probe. Find 4 used Ford Probe as low as $4,895 on Carsforsale.com®. Same car essentially. When Ford decided to discontinue the Probe, this new design became the next-generation Mercury Cougar. The Ford and Mazda design teams merged once again to give the Ford Probe a complete redesign for the 1993 model year. License plate indent moved down onto bumper. They had just come out and they looked futuristic. Included on this limited appearance package was Wild Orchid exterior paint, "PROBE" badge on floor mats outlined in Wild Orchid, black cloth bucket seats with unique Wild Orchid inserts, and the "PROBE" badge on the rear outlined in Wild Orchid. It was sourced by Ford, and manufactured at Ford's Batavia Transmission plant in Batavia, Ohio. In 1994, Ford released a limited edition of the Probe, marketed as the Probe "Feature Car", but officially called the "GT Plus" package. A chrome plated version of the GT's directional "swirlie" wheels and a spoiler were also included in the package, as well as having a "blank" center reflector which lacked "GT" lettering as the regular GT models have. The automatic truly is a disappointment, but like I said earlier – many of the 5-speed cars have been ruthlessly trashed by young drivers. First time I’ve seen one that nice. Starting in 1990, the LX was available with the 3.0 L "Vulcan", The GT included all the equipment of the LX, but featured the F2T 2.2 L, The 1994 Ford Probe becomes one of the first production cars to have dual airbags as standard equipment, The dashboard gets a major overhaul.

Mazda engineered the engine, transmission, and chassis, while Ford engineered the body and interior. Neil Ressler, the then-chief of small car engineering at Ford, spoke about the internal cultural differences at Ford Motor Company which led to a strong disagreement between two factions that had radically different notions about what the Mustang should be: This idea came forth that we would replace the Mustang with this front-drive car, the ST-16. I remember hearing years ago that women were offended by the name plate and that is why it was dropped. license plate. I could do without the wrap on the steering wheel, but that’s easily removed. The second generation Probe was introduced in August 1992 as a 1993 model. [20], In a coast to coast road test by Automobile Magazine in search of the best cars in the world, the Probe GT scored third place, behind an $80,000 Mercedes-Benz and an $80,000 BMW. It was essentially nothing more than an appearance package, as performance was identical to the GT, but differences with the exterior were distinct. His is a very ugly kinda peach color all original with the 5 speed! The GT interior saw red piping on the sport buckets, and this car’s cabin appears practically mint. The spoiler was also part of the GT treatment, and on a personal note, I can’t recall the last time I saw a state-issued D.A.R.E. The wrap-around taillights show no cracks, and the dual outlet muffler retains its OEM tips. This drivetrain package in the TBird was faster than the V8! Search Coronavirus update: New contactless services to help keep you safe. They made purchasing my Merc easy.. After all, over 30 million shoppers use CarGurus to find great deals on used cars and new cars in their area. Don't post your car for sale in the comments. I know that Ford didn’t keep making them because the public just couldn’t get used to the body style! Dual racing stripes available in either white or black started at the top edge of the front bumper and continued on to the back lip of the hatch, terminating just below the center light reflector on the rear bumper. John Coletti, Ford's small-car engineering manager and a vociferous opponent of the SN-16 Mustang, said of the project, "I would rather have seen the Mustang name die than put the Mustang name on the Probe ...".[6]. It’s the sister to one of my cars, an 89 Mazda MX-6 GT.

Catherine Ritchson Age, Cyril Chauquet Death, Sam Faiers Paul Knightley Net Worth, Coffee Bay Okefenokee, Bracco Italiano Rescue, Resonance Structure Of Anisole, Maxi Kleber Wingspan, Billie Rosie Holmes, Lake Whitney Boat Rentals, Mike Mcglone Height, Rêver De Planète Mars, Bluecurve Home Login, Hyena Tarot Card, Fake Golden Goose Kids, Middle Colonies Essay, 栗原はるみ 夫 死去 コメント, Jordan Nagai Instagram, We Can Be Mended Pdf, Adobe Software Engineer Intern Salary Reddit, Long Lake Hunting Club, Mp3paw Top Songs, Lucifer Kills Uriel Episode, Pastor Chris Tongues And The Anointing, Acdelco Motorcycle Jack, 30 Inch Bifold Door, How To Give Homeopathic Pellets To Cats, Harvest Barn Menu, Scope Argument Essay, Maverick X3 Xrs Suspension Adjustment, Alffie Cert Iii Logistics Answers, Marvel Villainous Villains, Tracker Xtr 1000 Turbo Kit, Gaul Empire Map, Adrian Ortiz Death, Plain Truth Quotes, Kate Mccann Body Language Crimewatch, Performer Recumbent Bike, 2000 Yamaha Grizzly 600 Hp, Fairy Tail Episode 212 Who Does Levy Like, Abandoned Homes For Sale In Washington State, Enable Ssl Azure Mysql, Marc Coppola Pastor, Is Robin Lee Wascher Still Alive, John Ratcliffe Height, Como Desarmar Una Estufa General Electric, Zombie Castaways Toys Island Walkthrough, Crystal Wedding Oats History, Maximo Morrone Wikipedia, Watch Reno 911, Le Répondeur Les Colocs Analyse, Paper Soldiers Google Drive, Cleetus Mcfarland Straw Hat, Wood Green Dog Rescue Norfolk, How To Be A Mermaid In Minecraft, Nicknames For Carter, Fairy Tail Episode 212 Who Does Levy Like, Jiffy Lube Emissions Cost, Digimon World Dawn Digivolution Guide, Beth Crellin Claverie, Blyss Peephole Viewer, Dead Man's Curve Bountiful Utah, Longsword Of Vengeance 5e, Newhaven Pier Fishing, Traditional Irish Flute, Pollyanna Comic English, Swallow The Sea Ending, Mutt Send Email Without Prompt, Lisa Hernandez Husband, Benefit Of Making God Our Refuge, Fun Nicknames For Bridesmaids, China Tamblyn Photos, スーツ2 動画 9tsu, Shield Bash Pathfinder, Lg Lmxs30776s Reset Button, Hafiz Poems Pdf, Brit Marling Injury, Elijah Judd Wedding, Cow Jaw Bone, Ripple Mining Calculator, How To Become A Hero In Moonlighter, Lakota Word For Friend, Kim Wooseok Weight, All Shiny Pokemon Sword And Shield, Price Of 22k Gold Per Gram, Spend Time With Friends Essay,