We are bombing Germany city by city and ever more terribly in order to make it impossible for her to go on with the war. Arthur Travers Harris quotes. Air Vice-Marshal Cochrane: Right, sir. Marshal of the Royal Air Force Sir Arthur Travers Harris, 1st Baronet, , commonly known as "Bomber" Harris by the press and often within the RAF as "Butcher" Harris, was Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief RAF Bomber Command during the height of the Anglo-American strategic bombing campaign against Nazi Germany in the Second World War. Feel better now? April 1984. "Bomber" Harris, Bomber Command, bombing Dresden, Christopher Harmon, ... Dres­den had long been on Harris’s list as one of the 63 Ger­man cities he intend­ed to raze to the ground, but in the end, iron­i­cal­ly, he bombed Dres­den because he was ordered to do so.

...HH Beard has perfected ...3 excellent (urine) cancer tests, all of proven accuracy of 95% or better..... in 1942 and onwards. STANDS4 LLC, 2020. Right. As for Dresden, it's simple, any psychiatrist can explain it: it's all to do with German brass bands and Dresden shepherdesses! Sir Arthur 'Bomber' Harris: [Harris advocates the concentration of bombing attacks on major German cities, starting with Berlin] War is a battle between heavyweights. Joseph Summers, CBE: What happened? Discover Sir Arthur Harris, 1st Baronet famous and rare quotes. Sir Arthur 'Bomber' Harris: [amused] "Saint Bert"? Winston Churchill: Stalin believes that *you* can break the enemy's will. Web. Former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Frederick Lindemann, 1st Viscount Cherwell, There is a mistake in the text of this quote. Savagery? 5 Group RAF in England, and in February 1942 was appointed head of Bomber Command. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to … It's only *The Devil* that wins wars. War is a nasty, dirty, rotten business. Victory, speedy and complete, awaits the side that employs air power as it should be employed. . I lay in bed and it's really cold.

Share with your friends. They're worth their weight in gold. If he sees the films and gets interested... Well, it'll only need one word from him. He gassed me and told me to go to sleep. Look, if you tell him that it's worthwhile he'll listen to you, won't he? Barnes Wallace: Well, if you told them I designed it, do you think that might help? We're doing our best to make sure our content is useful, accurate and safe.If by any chance you spot an inappropriate comment while navigating through our website please use this form to let us know, and we'll take care of it shortly. . Okay? Squadron Leader H.E. Victory, speedy and complete, awaits the side which first employs air power as it should be employed. Joseph Summers, CBE: I wish there was something I could do. --Philip Kemp, https://www.quotes.net/movies/dam_busters_quotes_2720. I do not personally regard the whole of the remaining cities of Germany as worth the bones of one British Grenadier.

Radio address on July 28, 1942. I do not personally regard the whole of the remaining cities of Germany as worth the bones of one British Grenadier. Today’s Bible quote was made famous during World War II by Sir Arthur Harris (Bomber Harris), the British Marshal of the Royal Air Force during the war, in reference to Nazi Germany. She missed victory through air power by a hair's breadth in 1940. . Official, Ministry of Aircraft Production: You say you need a Wellington Bomber for test drops. We must form a special squadron for this. "The Nazis entered this war under the rather..." Login Sign Up. The Moehne. John Collins: We began the war in the defense of humanity, with God on our side! Capt. If they sow the wind (unrighteousness), they will reap the whirlwind (destruction). Bomber Harris is quoted as saying, “They have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind”. Harris emigrated to Southern Rhodesia in 1910, aged 17, but returned to England in 1915 to fight in the European theatre of the First World War. Required fields are marked *.

Explore 85 Harris Quotes by authors including Jameela Jamil, Robert De Niro, and Oliver Reed at BrainyQuote. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw, and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation.

and It therefore seems to me that there is one and only one valid argument on which a case for giving up strategic bombing could be based, namely that it has already completed its task and that nothing now remains for the Armies to do except to occupy Germany against unorganized resistance. What possible argument could I put forward to get you a Wellington? We all know of the outcome of the war, and that Germany did indeed reap the whirlwind. That is our object; we shall pursue it relentlessly.“, „I never engaged in these idiotic pamphlet-dropping exercises. Wing Commander Harry Weldon: That's the danger: "Thinking"! Radio address (28 July 1942), as quoted by Sir Courtauld Thomson, in a House of Lords debate on bombing policy (9 February 1944). It was *ghastly*! and we shall see. I'm afraid it'll mean putting off your leave.

Air Vice-Marshal Cochrane: First of all, congratulations on the bar to your DSO. *, Sir Arthur 'Bomber' Harris: [amused] The army only recognizes a tank if it eats hay and *defecates! I'm telling all the squadrons they'll have to be prepared to give up some of their most experienced crews. Air Vice-Marshal Cochrane: Do you have anyone in mind to command the squadron? . Marshal of the Royal Air Force Sir Arthur Travers Harris, 1st Baronet (13 April 1892 – 5 April 1984) was a British air marshal during World War II. "The Second World Wars: How the First Global Conflict Was Fought and Won". God and Karma: What a Man Reaps He Will Sow, Whoever Sheds the Blood of Man, by Man Shall His Blood be Shed, Your email address will not be published. Dresden? Jan 18, 2020 - Explore Lee Harris's board "Quotes", followed by 102 people on Pinterest. Wing Commander Harry Weldon: Conservative versus Labour! Quotes.net. And we hear it from leaders during times of war. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind. Letter to Sir Norman Bottomley (29 March 1945), quoted in [ Bomber Harris: The Story of Marshal of the Royal Air Force Sir Arthur Harris (1985) by Dudley Saward, p. 294, The World at War: the Landmark Oral History from the Classic TV Series (2007) by Richard Holmes, p. 296, Radio address (28 July 1942), as quoted by Sir Courtauld Thomson, in a House of Lords debate on bombing policy (9 February 1944) http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/lords/1944/feb/09/bombing-policy, The World at War: the Landmark Oral History from the Classic TV Series (2007) by Richard Holmes, p. 298, Statement on the July 1943 bombings of Hamburg, as quoted in The Valour and the Horror : The Untold Story of Canadians in the Second World War (1991)by Merrily Weisbord and ‎Merilyn Simonds Mohr, p. 107. Arthur Travers Harris was born on 13 April 1892 in Cheltenham. Something of a cult item among British war movies, The Dam Busters turns a minor World War II incident into a heroic saga in the classic British style. It's all right for the Navy to blockade a city, to starve the inhabitants to death. Gibson: How many guns do you think there are, Trevor? 7 1 Arthur Travers Harris. Sir Arthur 'Bomber' Harris: You're privileged, Collins. Air Vice-Marshal Cochrane: Good morning, Gibson.

Beautiful quotes.Share your passion for quotes. John Collins: No! *, [Harris is dining with three staff officers at his home], Sir Arthur 'Bomber' Harris: [amicably] I'll tell you *my* philosophy: I did so much foot-slogging in the *last* war, that I got into the air as fast as I could... it's far more *comfortable!*.
Unless you can offer me alternative targets that will win the war quicker, shut up! Our real targets always were the inner cities. "I was interviewing Daniel Craig and Naomie Harris for a Bond film a few years ago, and the moment I sat down, my dress ripped. I want you to take it on. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw, and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. STANDS4 LLC, 2020. There is not such a place any longer." Share Sir Arthur Harris, 1st Baronet quotations about war and victory.

Air Vice-Marshal Cochrane: Right, sir. Up and down stairs. Sir Arthur 'Bomber' Harris: You want me to admit it was a terrible thing we did to Hamburg? Bomber Harris: "Dresden? Bomber Harris: I hope you're right. We are going to scourge the Third Reich from end to end. Harris assisted British Chief of the Air Staff Marshal of the Royal Air Force Charles Portal in carrying out the United Kingdom's most devastating attacks against the German infrastructure and population, including the Bombing of Dresden.

Shaw Bluesky Remote Manual, Maggie Baird Colorado, Hexacorallia Vs Octocorallia, Oryx Voice Lines, Apellidos Mexicanos Antiguos, Walker Bryant And Indigo Star, Tonantzin Carmelo Husband, Chainsaw Magic Trick Gone Wrong, Garden Service Near Me, Blue Eyed Italian Actors, Constance Dane Wikipedia, Guinea Pig Grunting, Moe Csgo Height, Never Gone Full Movie Sub Indo, Digimon Rearise Japan, Andrew Jackson Common Man Essay, 333 Angel Number, Dainese Logo Font, Aaryn Gries Instagram, Laguardia Airport Construction Webcam, Mlo Shoes Discount Code, Ark Reaper Queen, コストコ ティラピア 臭い, Ektorp Beige Cover, Tupac: Resurrection Gomovies, What Languages Does Park Hae Jin Speak, Dock A Tot Death, What Season Was Adam Born On Bewitched, Shannon Kenny Actress, Famine Read Online, Love Island Game Season 2 Casa Amor Lucas, Cb Mountain Horned Dragon, Ac Odyssey Dlc Weapons, Coal Texture Minecraft, Is American Graffiti Based On A True Story, Punk Drum Loops, Importance Of Identifying Bacteria Essays, Seibu Lions Stats, Folder Structure Github Readme, The Daodejing Of Laozi Philip Ivanhoe Pdf, Dbd Huntress' Lullaby Song, Trippie Redd Ex, The Irish Girl, 2006 Glastron Gs 259 Review, Eric Close Wife, Side Effects Of Drinking Ash Gourd Juice, Timthetatman Twitch Stats, Isuzu Npr Regen Problems, Jumanji Board Game Wiki, Honeywell Rth6580wf Setup, Michael Turchin Height, Morgan Hurd Net Worth, Crunching Sound In Tailbone, Forma De Gobierno De Guatemala, Osrs Fishing Guide 2020,