The action's pace and trajectory never mimic that of a big-scale Hollywood production, which might turn a Wahlberg or a Hemsworth into a working-class hero. TWITTER | Rotten (2). Terms of Use | and the Terms and Policies, The grimy darkness and tight framing of Matthew Boyd’s cinematography play up the panic and confusion felt by the miners affected, in a space hardly conducive to clarity and communication in the face of danger. It's one of those that should be viewed on as large a screen as possible and in the dark to get its full effect once the miners end up caught in the mine post explosion. Rather like the crisis depicted on screen, this is an all-for-one-and-one-for-all affair, inviting viewers not to identify with particular characters as such, but to place themselves in the men’s heavy steel-toed boots, sweating it out with them to the bitter, throat-closing end.

Variety and the Flying V logos are trademarks of Variety Media, LLC. Sign up here. Two miles into the earth, nine Appalachian coal miners struggle to survive after a methane explosion leaves them with one hour of oxygen. Miners struggle to survive a collapse in Eddie Mensore's underground drama. EMAIL ME FACEBOOK The veteran miners work through possible escape routes and means of communication, but, unsurprisingly, their bosses haven't maintained emergency survival equipment. | Rating: 3/4 Production designer Tim Barrett and visual effects coordinator Anaitte Vaccaro (both of whom also take executive producer credits) work around evident budget constraints to convey a vivid sense of murky, crumbling space, as escape routes are shed and sealed off by the minute. |, June 27, 2019 9. The "rescuer" units on their belts only have an hour's worth of breathable air in them, and even that won't prevent the methane from causing dangerous hallucinations.

They won't be able to see your review if you only submit your rating. The bulk of the film watches as survivors struggle to stay alive long enough for someone above ground to come looking for them. These men have experience and endurance to offer, but the movie knows their fate is mostly beyond their control.

and to receive email from Rotten Tomatoes and Fandango.

The survivors, meanwhile, have less than an hour’s worth of air left while they figure out their escape, making some grisly life-or-death decisions along the way. Eddie Mensore has not made a masterpiece of the genre, but there's a poignancy to his gritty calamity tale that makes Mine 9 worth watching. Playing out nearly in real time, it’s a tension exercise rightly shorn of any sense of macho exhilaration, anxiously realized with limited means. Production designer: Tim Barrett As one man puts it, if he dies on the job, at least his family gets an insurance settlement; if authorities shut down the mine, they get nothing. By opting to have your ticket verified for this movie, you are allowing us to check the email address associated with your Rotten Tomatoes account against an email address associated with a Fandango ticket purchase for the same movie. Mensore's script offers some bare-bones characterizations — noting one man's vocal belief that Jesus is watching out for him, watching another's reliance on whatever's in a pocket flask — before hitting the men with a gas explosion that breaks huge chunks of rock free. Mensore sketches in the dire socioeconomic circumstances that have narrowed Ryan’s life choices down to following in the soot-trailing footsteps of his uncle, as well as his callous father Kenny (Mark Ashworth), though the scant above-ground action in “Mine 9” would benefit from a little more observation and texture: There’s little sense of who these men really are, beyond their arduous labor.

| Fresh (17) Coming Soon, Regal Neither is it a stringent exercise in docu-realism, however, as a streak of heartland sentimentality runs through its gritty tragedy. Casting director: Jordan Blair Mangold. YOUTUBE. A survival thriller works if the tension is authentic and the actions are believable. Verified reviews are considered more trustworthy by fellow moviegoers. Everything you want an indie thriller to be - topical, regional, well-acted and harrowing as all get out. Cinemark | Rating: 8/10 Setting politics aside except for the most unavoidable observations — it was corporate cost-cutting that allowed this disaster to happen, and that prevents our heroes from being rescued quickly — the film prefers to share its protagonists' struggle, not lionizing the risks they take but also never questioning them. Ever. |, June 7, 2019 This 10-digit number is your confirmation number. |, April 19, 2019 The image is an example of a ticket confirmation email that AMC sent you when you purchased your ticket.

One of those films that grabs you early on and never lets you go. | Rating: 3/4 We want to hear what you have to say but need to verify your account. Sitemap | |. Eighteen-year-old Ryan (Drew Starkey) hasn't seen the warning signs his elders debate at the pic's opening. |, April 10, 2020

Production companies: Emphatic Films, Autumn Bailey Entertainment All Critics (19)

|, August 16, 2019 Mensore sets the claustrophobic mood immediately with a tense false alarm, as hazardously high methane levels in one mine cause a nerve-jangling flare-up. The results aren't golden, but this mine strikes a solid vein of silver with its subterranean drama. Director-screenwriter: Eddie Mensore

|, September 16, 2020 So the boy gets on the sled and descends, enduring his new co-workers' hazing as they travel deep into the earth. The percentage of users who rated this 3.5 stars or higher. Mine 9 is the most poignant and terrifying sort of drama: a film about good, hard working, sympathetic people in a life or death situation. by Your Ticket Confirmation # is located under the header in your email that reads "Your Ticket Reservation Details". Just confirm how you got your ticket. February 20, 2020

| Rating: 4/5 Forgot your password?

No prizes for guessing that this gamble backfires sooner rather than later — on the very day that Zeke’s teenage nephew Ryan (Drew Starkey) reluctantly joins the crew for his first day down the shaft. | Rating: 3.5/4.0 The movie's implication that the untenable conditions are just "the way it is" is complacent at best. 10:29 AM PDT 4/11/2019 | Rating: 3/5

Zeke's brother Kenny (Mark Ashworth) takes a stoic attitude: Ryan's his son, and going to work in the mines is what a man has to do. | Top Critics (8) You get that and more in director Edward Mensore's immersive nail-better. Tumblr is a place to express yourself, discover yourself, and bond over the stuff you love. Every man here is an everyman, and the harrowing ordeal they endure across a very lean 83-minute runtime — including a full ten minutes of credits — is portrayed in such blunt, straightforward terms as to suggest this is hardly a remarkable incident in a troubled, dangerous industry. Mike è un soldato americano in missione in un deserto non ben specificato e durante la sua missione sente di aver calpestato una mina. Mine 9 is the most poignant and terrifying sort of drama: a film about good, hard working, sympathetic people in a life or death situation. That’s not a criticism of “Mine 9,” which is most interesting for the ways it avoids the standard gung-ho dramatics of a disaster movie, treating its male ensemble as heroes and victims in equal measure. An impressive piece of work that deploys low-budget filmmaking techniques with cleverness. The crew at this mine has watched methane levels in the mine increase, with flare-ups becoming commonplace, but most are reluctant to side with their section leader Zeke (Terry Serpico), who wants to report safety violations to regulators. An Appalachian teenager's first day at work may prove to be his last in Eddie Mensore's ensemble survival tale Mine 9, a claustrophobic you-are-there account of a coal mine collapse.

Editors: Joseph Gutowski, Eddie Mensore A modestly budgeted, cannily made survival drama centered on a fictional coal mine explosion in Appalachia, “Mine 9” plays a little like a humble blueprint for a more extravagant Hollywood exercise in high-octane heroism: Squint a little, and you can see how Peter Berg and Mark Wahlberg, say, would muscle out the solemn, simple narrative devised here by writer-director-producer Eddie Mensore. Regal Director of photography: Matthew Boyd © 2020 The Hollywood Reporter

Mathilde Cusack Cause Of Death, 10x10 Canopy Straight Leg, Golden Wind Piano Roblox Id, Cherry Tree Poem Questions And Answers, Autumn Poem For Kids, Homme Balance Qui Fuit, Kumon 2nd Grade Math Worksheets Pdf, What Does Medellin Do To Guillermo In Sicario, Mr Red White And Blue, Pathfinder Synthesist Summoner Guide, Star Command Ships, Savannah And Isla Phillips School, Printable Jeopardy Template, Kristin Johns Website, Christie Downs Today, Hobonichi 2020 Review, Hero Meme Roblox Id, Miguel A Nunez Jr Brother, Jason Earles Parkinson, Bass Meaning Fish, How To Access Dallas Morning News Archives, Mojave Rattlesnake For Sale, Why Barnard Essay Reddit, キムタク 子供 何人, How To Record Audio On Discord Mobile, Smite Hades Damage Build, What Does Roy Look Like In The Book Hoot, Craig Wing Zoe Foster, John Henton Death, Trinity Wall Street Staff, Ache Of Separation Chinese Poem, Instant Death Novel, Delta, Pa Slate Quarry, Mikazuki Augus And Atra, Sleep Inertia Reddit, Why Are Abyssal Plains Relatively Rare In The Pacific, Fat Raccoon Tiktok, Beachfront Bargain Hunt York Maine, Brett Warren Family, Golf Battle Not Challengeable, Ivan Toney Age, Case 621 Loader Parts, Products Of Starbucks, Sweet Star Of The Sea Hymn Lyrics, Cuphead Characters Names And Pictures, 1969 Chevy Van For Sale Craigslist, Which Of The Following Is The Earth Not Located In?, What Is The Value Of A Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight, Adriana Marinescu Edi Gathegi, Mercator Knife Mods, Jurassic World Mini Action Dino 2020 Codes, Random Anime Character Wheel, Car Accident Eureka Ca Today, Hemet News Obituaries, Difference Between Nescafe Gold And Gold Blend, Woodcock Hunting Ontario, Avon M50 Cleaning, Being Mick Watch Online, Thinkorswim Sector Scan, Cosalt Flight 2009, Stephen Lecce Salary Sunshine List, The Show Is About To Begin Tiktok Sound, Striper Migration May 2020, Hawk T2 Top Speed, Roulotte à Vendre Camping Vallée Bleu, Scorpion Nutrition Facts, The Voice Auditions 2021, Reaction Paper Example, Ilyuka Mansion Portsea, Pasturegard Hl Tractor Supply, Dionne Brand Quotes, That Boy Sus Song Playboi Carti, John Cage Dream Analysis, Serbian Ufc Fighters, Rds Cal Usage, Numurkah Accident Today, 18 Years Of Friendship And Still Counting Quotes, Craigslist Rzr For Sale,